Migrate from most traditional document management systems to SharePoint in the Cloud (SharePoint Online) and SharePoint On-Premise. Also from File systems, and even other (non-SQL) systems
Analysis Process (and tools)
Find out what you have, determine what to migrate (documents & metadata), and collate the data for migration.
- Special tools and aides for iManage and OpenText (eDocs) / Hummingbird DM systems (DM3-6)
- Standard processes for:
- other SQL based DM systems like Documentum, FileNet, AuthoDox, in fact most SQL based DM systems
- file systems
- Generic processes to enable migration from other sources – provided the data is prepared in a standard format the Migration Tools will process it
- SharePoint to SharePoint migration processes
We migrated just under 3 million documents … just under 67 hours …Shoosmiths LLP
Migration Tools (and processes)
Both the tools (Online and On-Premise) process the migration runs prepared in the Analysis stage using a migration database.
Online migration is via Microsoft’s SharePoint Online Migration API and involves uploading the documents and metadata to Azure before launching a Migration Job with the API.
On-Premise migration is run on the SharePoint Server directly allowing the migration run to be done in one process.
Features are similar for the online and on-premise tools even though their processes are quite different:
- Migrate to libraries, folders, and document sets
- Create structure on the fly
- Migrate selected metadata
- Migrate all versions, latest version, or selected versions
- Migrate security
- Various pre and post-migration validation processes – file verification, user verification, etc
- Online – Microsoft’s SharePoint Online Migration API is capable of speeds of up to 250GB per day in off-peak times (weekends and evenings). It is slower in working hours with speed determined by the current workload of the Sharepoint Online environment
- On-premise: customers have reported speeds of 80,000 documents per hour (using multiple farm servers)
This allows the Migration Tools to connect to third party code during migration to obtain additional metadata for documents, retrieve the files from other sources, etc.
Examples large and small
Shoosmiths LLP, a large UK law firm, migrated 3 million documents from Hummingbird DM6.
- We migrated just under 3 million documents, almost 1 TB of data, over the course of 9 weekends. Using 40 instances of the migration tools running in parallel across 4 SharePoint servers … The tool was very stable … – Shoosmiths LLP
- Story of the migration: Migrating Millions of Legal Documents to SharePoint
A Sydney law firm – 20,000 documents from Authodox
A New York bank with branches around South America – 10 million documents from Hummingbird DM6 – in progress.
Check out the Free trial page and then contact us to get started.
SharePoint to SharePoint
More to come …