The free trial system for the Clockwork Migration Tools (Online and OnPremise) is:
- a fully functional migration tool limited to 9 documents per migration licensed for 3 months
- it includes a demo DM database with files (Shakespeare plays), a Migration database, and a sample library template.
It is a fully functional environment so you can see those Shakespeare plays in your own SharePoint system very quickly. I estimate that once you have the necessary access rights organised you could be up and running within the hour, certainly two.
The trial documentation also contains instructions for how to adapt the trial system to use your own ECMS database so you can test it with your own documents and metadata!
Of course the trial version is limited to migrating 9 documents at a time, though you can click “Start” again to migrate the next 9, and so on. In this way, with a little patience, you can build up a SharePoint library or two with your own documents and metadata to show to users and management, and perhaps even use for initial UAT.
To register for the trial, or for any questions … send an email to email@example.com.
Setting up the Free Trial System
Setting up the trial system is quite straight forward. The main steps are as follows:
- Get the necessary permissions set up for your migration user on SharePoint and SQL Server – do this first in case it takes a while to get the approvals etc
- Install the sample databases
- Edit the table of users to use usernames from your organisation
- Set up your sample site and library in SharePoint using the supplied template (or do it manually)
- Copy the supplied document store and placeholder files to an accessible location.
- Configure the SharePoint Migration Tool – connection strings, defaults etc
- Use the Test tool to check you have rights to add a document to SharePoint with the Tool
- Do a migration run
- View the logs to see how it went
More details on each of these steps are contained in the Trial System documentation.
Connecting to your DM system
For iManage and OpenText the Tool has modules to help you connect very quickly. These do cost a little, but come with a 3 day Full license you can activate once you are set up.
For other systems we assist you with the connection.
Connecting to your own ECMS
In essence, what we want to do is present the data from your DM database to the Migration Tool in a standard format. This is usually best done by someone with some SQL skills.
There are two relatively quick ways to go about connecting the Clockwork Migration Tool to your own DM System:
- Create views in the sample ECMS database (csw_MigrationDocuments) that connect to your ECMS and return the data in the same form (same field names) as the tables in the sample ECMS database. Then rename things so that your views end up with the names of the tables they are replacing. Then the Migration database will talk to your ECMS database through those views.
- Inspect the main views in the Migration database and then build up views that return the same information with the same field names from your own ECMS database.